Thursday, September 22, 2016

Oliver Stone: “I care about my country” – Zeit ONLINE

TIME: Mr. Stone, you have worked six years ago with Donald Trump, it was a short appearance in her Film Wall Street 2.

Oliver Stone: The scene but was not used because the Film was too long.

TIME: what was it Like to shoot with Trump?

Stone: It was … typical Trump. After every Take, he exclaimed: “Wasn’t it great?!”

TIME:, And he was great?

Oliver Stone

in 1946, was born in New York. His films sparked in the US, heated debates. The three-time Oscar-winner made films about the Vietnam war (Platoon, Born on the 4th of July), the glorification of violence (Natural Born Killers), US President (JFK, Nixon, W.), on the stock exchange of the world (Wall Street). His new Film, Snowden (cinema start: 22. 9.) the history of Edward Snowden’s revelations tells us about the mass surveillance by the NSA.

Stone: no, and I told him quite honestly. We shot the scene nine times from different perspectives.

TIME: you Would have thought at the time that Trump might one day presidential candidate?

Stone: is Not in the dream.

TIME: you have films about Kennedy, Nixon, George W. Bush turned. How about a Film about Trump or Hillary Clinton?

Stone: at The Moment, I would rest me for a while from political issues.

TIME: is that a fact? Why have you turned now and then, the Film about Edward Snowden?

Stone: As the Snowden Story exploded, I wanted to keep me out of it. But Snowden is now one of the great stories of this century. The story of an American citizen, and his Conscience obeyed.

TIME: Are you a filmmaker, the his Conscience to obey?

Stone: I have to admit that my role of the American cinema narrator and that of the American citizen mix. As a citizen, I have to say, because I would like not muzzle the mouth of miss. The unwritten rule of the film industry to make movies and as a political individual to the mouth, to the audience to frighten. Otherwise, you’ll get in Trouble.

TIME: And makes them Snowden of Trouble?



This article dates back to the TIME no 38 of 8.9.2016. The current TIME you can purchase at the Kiosk or here.

Stone: The Problem was first of all the money. In the U.S., no one wanted to Fund a Film about Edward Snowden. A large Studio to the other rejected. Of course, none of the NSA was asked to leave it. It was self-censorship. Therefore, we have shot the Film mainly in Munich, with German and French involvement. Our German production company had a Deal with the company BMW, which you typically cars for the production. But all of a sudden BMW said no. We suspected then, that the American subsidiary of BMW wanted nothing to do with Snowden.

TIME: do you See a Parallel between their political activism and that of Edward Snowden?

Stone: Snowden is a young man from North Carolina, a super-smart child of his time, a guy who lives in the Computer. I’m more of a romantic, simple, a bit old-fashioned. I have a lot longer than Snowden, in order to develop a political Conscience.

TIME: How was your first encounter with Snowden?

Stone: I Am most impressed with how young he was. I never would have been 29 able to develop such a strong moral security. Snowden, it was clear that he was committing a crime, a much greater crime to disclose. In this he is similar to Martin Luther King and other activists who broke laws.

TIME: just like Snowden you were initially a conservative American.

Stone: When I started the Film, I initially thought that it is Born Parallel to my Film on 4. July. Since I could identify myself with the Tom Cruise played Vietnam veteran Ron, the opponents of the war. Like Ron, I too was a Conservative from a small town. Also, I went as a young man to Vietnam, because I meant to do the Right thing for my country. Or because I thought I was John Wayne. Or because I wanted to please my father. Maybe also because I had seen too many movies about the Second world war and thought the war was a heroic, romantic affair.

TIME: In your Film you show how the Edward Snowden of the 2003 report to the U.S. Army to go to war in Iraq.

Stone: The Yes like. Snowden wanted to serve his country, first as a soldier, then as an IT technician. You can say that he was lucky to break the military training of both legs, and to be taken out of service.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment