Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Eagles of Death Metal – “I want to go back there and live” – ​​Süddeutsche.de

The Band “Eagles of Death Metal” speaks for the first time in detail about the terror of night Paris and promises to play the concert to end.

John Kuhn , San Francisco

“I want my life not spend to appease assholes or not to appease. I want to spend my life smiling with my friends and entertain them. I can not wait to Paris back. I can not wait to play. I want to be the first band to play at the Bataclan when it will open again … because I was there when it’s silent for a minute. Our friends went there to rock ‘n roll to see, and are dead. I want to go back there and live. ” Jesse Hughes

These 26 minutes are hard material, they are a document of contemporary history. The Eagles of Death Metal telling in a video interview how they experienced that evening, when three terrorists invaded their concert at the Paris Club Bataclan and 89 people killed.

Last week published Vice already short excerpts, now the five band members and their sound man have their say. The group around frontman Jesse Hughes recalls not only the tragic evening, but also to their dead fans who can not tell their story. It is an emotional interview, often increased the band members the voice or they break into tears.

“The first shots were so loud that I knew immediately that something was wrong,” says drummer Julian Dorio from moment when the assassin opened fire and chaos broke out

The band sought refuge behind amplifiers and drums. three members fled, reloading as one of the shooters. Singer Jesse Hughes ran upstairs to the backstage area of ​​the belt, to look for his girlfriend and met one of the terrorists.





Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age (gesturing) founded the Eagles of Death Metal in 1998 together with frontman Jesse Hughes (to his right).

(Photo: Screenshot Youtube )

“He turned to his me, lowered his weapon and a bullet hit the door frame, “says the visibly battered Hughes,” I thought … oh fuck, I turned around and … I knew people followed me so (…) I told [to the people, the high flows the stairs, d. Red.] ‘No, no, no, do not come in this direction’. And we ran down. ” When she had escaped through a side exit, they found not only Hughes’ friend, but also completely distraught fans. “. They did not seem to know what they should do”

bassist Matt McJunkins, who stood at a distance from the initial remote side of the stage, was looking with spectators – including injured – in a small back room protection. Because water came through the ceiling, a Rinnsaal that transpired under the door and up the panic had to be discovered formed. A bottle of champagne which was there for the end of the show in a refrigerator would have been their only “weapon” against the bombers. “The shots came closer. They did not stop, ten, maybe 15 minutes. It just did not stop.” Finally, the building was hit by an explosion, as one of the terrorists themselves blew up.





attack on concert in Bataclan Who are the “Eagles of Death Metal”?

Located in the concert opening the assassins fire. A crew member, and dozens of fans die.

Sound man Shawn London was near the doors at its console. “The show went well, the kids had a great time … the smile, dancing, sing each song. It came from the heart,” he describes the scene. “And suddenly I heard behind me something that sounded like firecrackers, right behind me. They came in the door and started shooting, two of them (…) it was arbitrary. People fell immediately to … injury, death. They could nowhere and people jumped on me, right behind the mixing desk. ” An assassin took aim at him, but only hit the soundboard. “He stood there and shot and shot and slaughtered people and just screamed ‘Allahu akbar’. And as I understood at once what was going on.” Finally London could save himself and a woman with a gunshot wound, as the shooter just reloaded.

The attack also fans who had been hiding in the backstage area of ​​the band died. “The reason why so many people have died, is that they did not want to leave their friends,” Hughes told in a broken voice, “so many people have placed themselves protectively in front of other people.” With Nick Alexander came the merchandise seller of the band died. “He was calm, he was bleeding, he did not call for help because he did not want that someone gets hurt … I mean …”, cancels the sobbing band vocalist.

” The band has repeatedly told of this collective heroism, “says co-founder Josh Homme, who did not accompany the band on tour. “The fact that people from their homes came to help. That helped even injured each other and the band. (…) We now have a podium, because we’re in a fucking band. We represent the fans who did not make it . The people who did not make it, whose stories may never be told. “

” Because words do not comprehend make things “

What would he say to the parents of the victims? “It’s too bad … I want … just go on my knees and say what also always want to hear. There’s nothing I can say, because words do not make things tangible. That’s okay, you know. It’s okay that there are no words for it. Perhaps there should be no. “

” I may be afraid, “says singer Jesse Hughes,” maybe I do not crass shit happens … but that’s nothing … I breathe, I can now talk evening with my son. “

It will and must continue the tour, this is not the band or the fans or politics guilty, but . “this is part of being human,” says Homme

And Jesse Hughes goes even further: “I want to be the first band to play at the Bataclan when it will open again … because I was there, as it is silent for a minute. Our friends are gone there to see rock and roll, and are dead. I want to go back there and live. “

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment