Saturday, August 23, 2014

Seeking Soul Music: Y’akotos wonderful seriousness – n-tv.de NEWS

Entertainment
 


 Saturday, August 23, 2014

 
 
 


 
 On her debut singing the singer from Hamburg Y’akoto still the “baby blues”, now she has the “Moody Blues”. What does this mean? This reveals the 26-year-old in an interview.

 


 

as “Seeking Soul Music” called Jennifer Yaa Akoto Kieck alias Y’akoto their music – hidden behind a mixture of Soul, Pop, Singer / Songwriter, Folk and African influences, coupled with lyrics that under the skin go. No wonder her debut album “Baby Blues” was nominated two years ago for a prompt response. Even in the USA, Poland and Italy Y’akoto celebrated successes. On the follow-up “Moody Blues” sounds the 26-year-old, who was born in Hamburg and grew up in Ghana, now more mature and confident. But most of it in their texts is: It’s about the search for the home, refugees and death

Y’akoto, her debut album, on which there is a. disappointed love went, was entitled “baby blues”, the sequel is now called “Moody Blues” – that sounds frankly not necessarily as if things become easier

Yakoto: This must be disconnect! “Baby Blues” was a tad naive and self-centered, “Moody Blues” is now much broader, it’s more about the world around me. I want to sing with my music stuff that appeal to the essence of man, the human in us. And this is now quite diverse and dual. Therefore, it is on the album both light and dark sides. Basically it is again “Seeking Soul Music”, like on my debut, only much questioning.

Where is your preference for difficult subjects?

Probably my nature is simply complex. Where: In everyday life, I’m not so thoughtful, but rather unreasonable. I laugh at the stupidest things. I love fun and I need lightness in my private life. With so philosophers or if it is too intellectual, I can not stand it. I have to always leave the room, because I will too crass. It also has a long time before I could even talk from me about my problems. I have quite a long time not talked about my worries or fears, but rather the processes in music.

Which song on your new album because has the most weight?

This is “Off The Boat” for me. It’s about the story of a young man who wants a refugee boat off. I have written the song years ago, because that is a subject that I’ve always been busy. Often I shoot myself in my songs in such an individual fates. That’s probably without realizing it, an artistic concept of me. I have an incredible amount of imagination and which I use to build up such scenes. But somewhere there is exactly give this story.

The issue is currently more relevant than ever. What goes through your head when you see images of desperate refugees in the news?

Do not shock me, because it is the subject ever since. At the moment the focus is just on it and at once are all outraged, but that’s always been there. What I want to achieve with my art is to develop a relationship with it. People always think it’s so rude far away – but I do not think just. In effect, we are all dependent on world circumstances. If in Europe the climate is changing at some point, then here we might also want to clear. And then we watch even know who makes the doors open or closed, and who sends us back home.

you yourself were born in Germany, grew up in Africa and later returned to Germany. The issue of home plays a role on your album.

Yes, but now not necessarily related to me. It’s more a question of where man finds his place. It just happened very much, the climate changed, the systems regroup and we all do not even know really really where it’s going. And within this chaos, we seek our home, whether it’s a house or just a state of mind. We humans are seeking beings and wherever you are, you meet people who seek recognition and a home, stability and a good life.

With the end of life you put in the song ” Come Down To The River “apart, a lament, in which is about a woman who hears the voice of her deceased husband from a river. Is death a theme you busy?

I’ve never lost to a lucky one in death, but that will of course come to me, that can not be avoided. I have also spoken with many people who have lost a loved one, be it the parents, children or partner. What has always fascinated me, is this power of the bereaved. But I have a strong admiration. Said the woman in my song comes to the point where they can not do without these other people and wants to follow him.

So no happy ending …

More on the topic
 
 
 

No, I just have a soft spot for topics that are not discussed in Hollywood. Of course it is more difficult to deal with it, but these things are an integral part of our lives and the more we will let them in and talk for example about death, the more present the life. I have the fact that I am dealing with such issues, get an incredible lust for life. Empathy is something you can practice -., Thus you can then flip the lever to himself

with Y’akoto Nadine Lischick

The album “Moody Blues” will be released on August 22, 2014 – Order at Amazon

  Source: n-tv.de
 


 
 

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment